A changeover is often prompted by optimisation projects in SAP logistics, in the course of which investments are made in new hardware. Since Windows Mobile support is coming to an end, the switch should be made to MDEs with Android as the operating system, if only for security reasons. This is because the latest Android devices from hardware manufacturers in logistics are kept up to date.
New Android hardware with more technical features and faster performance
The new terminals also have new technical functions that provide better benefits for the apps. For example, cameras can be integrated for image/video capture, displays for signature functions or RFID/NFC read/write functions.
Continue to use existing mobile SAP developments smartly
Step 1: Create a modern layout for the new Android devices
Rapid introduction of a new solution or migration of the current solution with the Flexus Layout Designer
- New Android handhelds usually have a higher resolution than older Windows devices. In addition, the screen ratio is also often different. This conversion challenge can be quickly solved with the Flexus Layout Designer.
- If SAP ITSmobile is already in use, the existing functions can be adapted with the scaling function. Thus, the designs are adapted to the new resolution at the touch of a button.
- If Telnet / SAPConsole solutions are still in use, the ITSmobile templates must be generated first. Then the simple adaptation takes place as described.
- With the Flexus Layout Designer you can go beyond:
- Customise colour design
- Change sizes
- Create company template
- Integrate pictograms/icons
- The goal: modern SAP app design with modern handheld devices via drag & drop editor.
Step 2: Link app & handheld with industry browser in a meaningful way for live operation
Depending on the application (ITSmobile or SAP Fiori), the mobile application is a browser-based solution. On the Android devices, this is combined with an industry browser app in live operation. Flexus recommends the Flexus Mobile Browser, which specialises in mobile SAP applications. This enables practical use in daily work:
- The so-called kiosk mode of the Flexus Mobile Browser, for example, enables restricted access to the app. This means: Switch on the device and the SAP login screen appears as the start screen.
- Within the application, the correct keyboard is displayed context-sensitively (only digits or alphanumeric)
- In addition, the browser maintains the connection to the SAP system.
- Furthermore, this also enables the complete use of the handheld/tablet screen by completely hiding head and foot targets.
- Global deployment and management of the solution is enabled in combination with device management tools. Settings for the devices can be managed centrally and then distributed to the devices.
Step 3: Opportunity for new functions / new apps – capture photos, signatures, voice output
With the use of new hardware, the use of new apps is also possible.
Existing Flexus Apps from the FLX-Mobil solution can be accessed or new solutions can be created. Especially the photo function in goods receipt for damage documentation or the mobile loading control with recording of successfully loaded goods and load securing are interesting additional possibilities.
Through the touch displays of the Android devices, signatures can be easily recorded during stocktaking or internal confirmation of successful goods transport. In addition, drawings / graphics can be displayed in the app.
Advantages of switching to Android:
- Modern hardware
- Modern software / layout
- High employee acceptance
- Process improvements through new functions
All relevant elements from technical advice to implementation from a single source at Flexus.
Author – Tobias Heubeck
Head of Sales and Marketing